Preparation: 4 hours approx.
5 to 10 units
This roscón is a popular and traditional Colombian dessert and it is very common to find it in bakeries in Colombia. It is usually eaten at the time of the snack with a soft drink or fresh milk. The main ingredient of this Roscón is the guava paste, an ingredient widely used in Colombian cuisine.
- 30 grs. Fresh yeast
- 100 ml. warm water + 4 tbsp.
- 500 grs. Wheat flour
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar and more to garnish
- 100 ml. of butter diluted in the microwave
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract essence
- 2 eggs1 beaten egg for varnishing
- 2 tbsp. butter diluted in the microwave
- 200 grs. Guava bar in slices
- Honey or syrup to paint
- We will put, first, 4 tablespoons of hot water (but not boiling) in a bowl. We add half the sugar, the yeast and stir until everything mixes. Stand 10 min. for the yeast to start growing.
- In another bowl, add the flour, salt, remaining sugar and the mixture from the previous step. We remove everything and mix. Now add the eggs, the melted butter and the vanilla. Mix everything well until you get a homogeneous mass.
- Place the mass over a clean and dry counter top, and knead the mixture. To knead it more comfortably, we will first throw a little flour over the counter top. The dough will be perfect when it does not stick to our hands and feels quite elastic. It will take us about 10 minutes of kneading.
- Now, we will put the dough in a bowl with a little oil and add the dough there. Cover with a clear film and let it sit for a couple of hours under a warm ambient, until it doubles its size.
- After two hours, put the dough again on a floured surface and knead it to stretch a little. When it is to our liking, cover it with a cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, cut the dough into two equal pieces.
- We knead the dough lengthwise, like two long strips and a width of about 10 centimeters. Inside we will put the guava dough in pieces or cubes, along the whole strip of dough. Then we will close the dough making a cylinder, leaving the guava inside and finally roll up to make a circumference, like a donut. Let the dough rest for another 20-30 minutes.
- Now, we can finally bake the mixture. Paint the threads with beaten egg and a few tablespoons of melted butter. To bake, preheat the oven to 200 ºC and bake for 15-20 min. or until it is golden to our liking and ready to eat.